If, like me you love the idea of a marquee wedding, and have visions of a big white marquee laid out on a beautiful lawn, a bright summers day and wedding guests sipping champagne, the reality unfortunately, can be somewhat different.
They can be absolutely stunning and have the flexibility and blank space to create a truly individual and memorable wedding. However, marquee weddings involve a great deal of hard work, and planning and attention to detail are crucial.
To help you create the perfect marquee wedding and avoid some of the common pitfalls, here are a few tips.
1. Find the right marquee . There are lots of suppliers out there, so do shop around and research the type of marquee that suits you. You may think that all marquees are the same, but when you start to enquire, you will find that there are many different designs.
2. Weather . This has to be taken into consideration as we do live in a country where unfortunately, we don’t always have blistering sunshine. You may want to consider having some heaters on hand which can be turned on when needed, especially if your wedding is during the spring or autumn. Your marquee hire company will advise you on this & will be able to provide the heaters. When planning your walk ways you need to take the weather into account.
3.Catering. Food is a very important part of your day, so when researching caterers make sure they have outside catering experience. All food is prepared on site to ensure the food is fresh. If you decide to go for barbeque food, make sure you have considered where they will cook, because if it rains, they will need shelter. Also, don’t forget that you will need a separate catering tent and you will have to supply table linen, cutlery, glassware, crockery, tables and chairs.
4. Lighting . Never under estimate the use of lighting. It can completely transform a space and be a really effective way of adding a wow factor to a marquee.
5. Flowers. A marquee is a big space to fill so work very closely with your florist and decide what type of impact you want your flowers to have.
6. Toilets. There’s no glamorous way of talking about toilets but nevertheless, you’ll need them! Luxury toilets are available for hire, although there are only a handful of suppliers in Ireland.
7. Security. Depending on the location, you may want to consider hiring security to keep an eye on your marquee and any equipment that may be stored in it, especially as it will be set up the night before the wedding.
All of this can sound very daunting, but with the right help and advice, a marquee wedding can be a spectacular success and fulfill all of your dreams on your special day.